The definition of indices is the plural of index, which is a listing or an indicator.
An example of indices are telephone book listings.
A plural of index
- plural form of index (when used in the sense of a key to locate an element in a list, vector or matrix in computing or mathematics)
- Both plurals are in common use. The OED claims that when referring to a directory listing, the plural indexes should be used.
- A volume of elaborate indices was edited by I.
- The refractive indices for different wave lengths must be known for each kind of glass made use of.
- Shadows were used as indices of the sun's position, in combination with angular divisions.
- Indices produces at least a dozen young at a birth.
- That can be formed with positive integral indices out of n letters x, y, z,..