Origin of IndianapolisIndiana + Classical Greek polis, city: see polis
The capital and largest city of Indiana, in the central part of the state on the White River. It was settled in 1820 as the site of a new state capital, which was moved here in 1825.x
- From Indianapolis, Cynthia would rent a car for a two-hour drive to her mother's small town.
- INDIANAPOLIS, the capital and largest city of Indiana, U.S.A., situated on the W.
- Indianapolis is near the centre of population of the United States.
- From 1847, when the first railway entered the city, Indianapolis has steadily grown in importance as a railway centre.
- It is served by the Chicago, Indianapolis & Louisville, the Cincinnati, Hamilton & Dayton, the Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago & St Louis (New York Central System), the Lake Erie & Western (New York Central System), the Pittsburg, Cincinnati, Chicago & St Louis (Pennsylvania System) and the Vandalia (Pennsylvania System) railways.