- held fast by ice: said as of a boat
- made inaccessible by ice: said as of a port
Locked in or covered over by ice.
- completely surrounded by ice and therefore unmoveable
- But the open season is in any case very short, and the western straits are sometimes icebound during the entire year.
- Coasts are icebound, and the W.
- Are not uncommon, and the rivers are generally icebound for two and a half to three months - the Warta being under ice for 70 to 80 days, the Vistula at Warsaw for 80 days and (exceptionally) even for 116, and the Memel for 100 (exceptionally for 140).
- The frosts are severe, the Danube being often icebound for three months.
- The harbour is good, but generally icebound from December to May.