Origin of griftaltered from now-rare verb graft, to gain money by illicit means
- Money made dishonestly, as in a swindle.
- A swindle or confidence game.
verbgrift·ed, grift·ing, grifts
Origin of griftPerhaps alteration of graft 2
- a confidence game or swindle.
- as in "What's the Grift?" or "What are you trying to pull?"
(third-person singular simple present grifts, present participle grifting, simple past and past participle grifted)
- To obtain illegally, as by con game.
- (intransitive) To obtain money illegally.