A parent of one's mother or father; a grandmother or grandfather.
- the parent of someone's parent
- (with regard to ancestry) grandchild
- They may remember watching a parent or grandparent transforming a piece of wood into a special toy or living room side table, seemingly working magic with the old woodworking tool.
- If there is a well-established relationship between the grandparent and grandchildren, this will be taken into consideration when a judge is asked to make a ruling on the issue of noncustodial visitation in regards to grandparents.
- If the grandparent and grandchild have already established a close relationship, then it is unfair to both of them to deny the grandparent access simply because the child's parents are divorced.
- Schools - The Foster Grandparent Volunteer Association and the Grandparents Association offer the elderly an opportunity to give back to the community by serving as volunteers in local schools.
- Schools: The foster grandparent program provides a wonderful opportunity for seniors to work with school children as teachers' helpers within the classroom and throughout the school, as needed.