- a person who governs; esp.,
- a person appointed to govern a dependency, province, town, fort, etc.
- the elected head of any state of the U.S.
- any of the group of persons who direct an organization or institution: the board of governors of a hospital
- Chiefly Brit. the person in charge of an organization or institution, as a prison
- a mechanical device for automatically controlling the speed of an engine or motor as by regulating the intake of fuel, steam, etc.
- Brit., Informal a person having authority; esp., one's father or employer: as a term of address, somewhat old-fashioned
Origin of governorMiddle English governour from Old French governeor from Classical Latin gubernator, a pilot, steersman, governor