Origin of fiberglassfrom Fiberglas
- A material consisting of extremely fine glass fibers, used in making various products, such as yarns, fabrics, insulators, and structural objects or parts. Also called spun glass .
- A lightweight, durable material consisting of synthetic resin reinforced with such fibers, used in applications such as roofing and boatbuilding.
fiberglass - Computer Definition
Also known as spun glass, fiberglass is a composite of extremely fine fibers of glass. Invented in 1938 by Russell Games Slayter of Owens-Corning for use as insulating material, the raw spun glass is used as a reinforcing agent and combined with polymers and epoxies to create what is known popularly as fiberglass, which can be drawn, shaped, and molded for a wide variety of uses. The low weight, great tensile strength, and dielectric properties of fiberglass contribute to its wide use in both rigid and nonrigid applications, including boat hulls, swimming pools, hot tubs, surfboards, thermal insulation, automobile bodies, and cable strength members. Owens-Corning remains the largest manufacturer of fiberglass, which it markets as Fiberglas
- Despite its perks, the fiberglass model was still able to be improved upon, as in the 1950s and 1960s, when the material changed again-to the less expensive and more effective thermoplastics.
- One reason that fiberglass is such a popular choice for whelping boxes is the fact that the surface area is nonporous, keeping it from absorbing bodily fluids that may harbor unhealthy substances and making it is easy to clean.
- It can be caused by soaps, detergents, solvents, adhesives, fiberglass, and other substances that are able to directly injure the skin by breaking or removing the protective layers of the upper epidermis.
- Felt is more common, but the newer fiberglass construction offers more of a cushion, giving a softer feel to the floor and some give that can make it easier to stand on the floor for long periods.
- If you have a fiberglass crate, simply remove the top of the box, place a whelping pad in the bottom of the box, and you have a great place to allow your dog and her puppies to nest for a while.