- trampled on or down
- oppressed; subjugated; tyrannized over
The definition of downtrodden is feeling oppressed or kept down by a situation or a ruler.
An example of downtrodden is the feelings of citizens in a cruel dictatorship.
- past participle of downtrod
From the past participle of downtrod.
- Take on the role of a nameless character and forge alliances with whomever you like -- the downtrodden humans, the conquering Orcs, or even the traitorous merchants.
- The commercial will show Federline in a rap video, then cut to the downtrodden celeb as he is working in a fast-food restaurant, daydreaming about his rap stardom.
- Match this depression with Pisces' mutable nature, and you can create a highly downtrodden and unstable individual; the classic manic depressive.
- Christian churches held a custom of placing metal boxes outside their doors on this day to collect cash and gifts for the downtrodden.
- 13) extols his fame for rebuilding the desolate city of Jerusalem and for raising up fresh homes for the downtrodden people.