1. An example of a double take is when you think you see a famous celebrity standing right next to you on the street and you are really surprised but sneak another glance.2. An example of a double take is your amazed reaction when your parents tell you they are getting a divorce.
or double take
(plural double takes)
- (colloquial) A take, commonly used as a comical reaction to a surprising sight, in which someone casually sees something, briefly stops looking at it, realizes what it is, and snaps attention back to it with an expression of surprise or disbelief.
- Smith passes the car and does a double take as he realizes it is on fire.
- I swear I did a double-take when I spotted that $100 bill lying in the gutter!
- Alternative form of double take.
- However, if you or your guy are into using ties to make a statement or you just gravitate toward patterns and colors that make others do a double-take, Jerry Garcia may be the brand you're looking for, after all.
- She opened her door and glanced over at Toby then did a double-take.
- The word made her do a double-take.
- One glance led to a double-take and then he abandoned the letter.