The capital and largest city of Sri Lanka, on the western coast of the island on the Indian Ocean. The city was probably known to Greco-Roman, Arab, and Chinese traders more than 2,000 years ago. It became capital of the crown colony of Ceylon in 1802 and of independent Ceylon in 1948.x
- Former capital and largest city of Sri Lanka.
- Urien and C. Colombo, Geografia Argentina (Buenos Aires, 1905); E.
- Turnour, The Mahavarnsa (Colombo, 1837); H.
- A service of the British India Steam Navigation Company's steamers has been established between Negapatam and Colombo through Palk Strait and this narrow passage.
- From Colombo, in N.
- Vilbouchevitch); Herbert Wright, Hevea brasiliensis or Para Rubber (Colombo, 1908); Rubber in the East: the official account of the Ceylon Rubber Exhibition, 1906, edited by J.