- owning a membership card in a specified organization
- Informal thorough, genuine, etc.: a card-carrying pacifist
The definition of card-carrying is someone who is openly loyal to an organization or group.
Someone who manages a union is an example of card-carrying.
- Being an enrolled member of a particular organization: a card-carrying Communist.
- Avidly devoted to a group or cause: card-carrying fitness enthusiasts.
Origin of card-carryingFrom the assumption that such a person carries a membership card
- For card-carrying members of American Express, problems can be on the back burner with the different benefits offered by the company.
- But you're a full card-carrying romantic optimist.