A city of southern France southeast of Toulouse. Its medieval stronghold is a major tourist attraction.x
- An old walled city in Languedoc-Roussillon
- To play the tile-based game Carcassone.
- The Midi (Southern) has lines radiating from Toulouse to Bordeaux via Agen, to Bayonne via Tarbes and Pau, and to Cette via Carcassonne, Narbonne and Bziers.
- AUDE Carcassonne AvEYRON - Rodez - - -
- In reply to this the French sovereign despatched Andrew as his ambassador to the great Khan Kuyuk; with Longjumeau went his brother (a monk) and several others - John Goderiche, John of Carcassonne, Herbert "le sommelier," Gerbert of Sens, Robert a clerk, a certain William, and an unnamed clerk of Poissy.
- The capital is Carcassonne, and the department is divided into the four arrondissements of Carcassonne, Limoux, Narbonne and Castelnaudary, with 31 cantons and 439 communes.
- It forms the diocese of Carcassonne, and part of the province of the archbishop of Toulouse.