Origin of burglarAnglo-Latin burglator, altered by associated, association with Classical Latin latro, thief (orig., hired servant from Classical Greek latris: see -latry) from Old French burgeor, burglar; ultimately from Late Latin burgus: see bourgeois
A burglar breaking into a house.
A person who breaks into a house to steal a TV is an example of a burglar.
Origin of burglarAnglo-Norman burgler ( alteration of burgesur ) ( probably from Old French burg borough )Medieval Latin burgulātor ( alteration of burgātor ) ( from burgāre to commit burglary in ) ( from Late Latin burgus fortified town ) both of Germanic origin ; see bhergh-2 in Indo-European roots.
- A thief who steals from premises.
- The burglar made off with a large diamond from the museum.
Middle English, shortened from Middle English burgulator, from Medieval Latin (Anglo-Latin) burglātor, from Old French burgeor (“burglar”), from Medieval Latin burgātor (“burglar”), from burgāre (“to commit burglary”), from Late Latin burgus (“fortified town”), probably from Frankish *burg (“fortress”), from Proto-Germanic *burgz, *burgiją (“borough, watch-tower”), from Proto-Indo-European *bhergh2- (“high, heights”). The -l- may have been inserted under influence from Latin latro (“thief”).
- Other changes included a larger foyer, new plumbing, a new heating system, and a burglar alarm system.
- They caught a burglar with a stolen TV that should be returned to someone at your address, but they may have the wrong person -- perhaps she can help work this out by verifying your full name and social security number?
- While no one likes to think about their home being broken into, the fact is a burglar can strike any of us-at any time.
- Discounts are available to homeowners who have specific organizational affiliations or who have certain safety features on the home, such as a burglar alarm or a close proximity to a fire station.
- Joshua Tell Warner - Warner briefly appeared on the reality show Deadliest Catch in 2009, and viewers recognized him as the burglar who had previously robbed three Oregon banks.