Origin of Breathalyzerbreath (an)alyzer
a device that tests exhaled breath to indicate the amount of alcohol in the body or blood
[b-] such a device
A trademark for a device that detects and measures alcohol in expired air so as to determine the concentration of alcohol in a person's blood.
breathalyzer - Legal Definition
A device that measures that blood alcohol content of a person by analyzing the content of the moisture in her breath. Usually used by police when a person is suspected of driving while intoxicated.
- The police had given Locklear a breathalyzer, which she presumably passed due to the police stating that alcohol wasn't a factor in Locklear's behavior.
- Weiland's management states that he submitted voluntarily to a Breathalyzer test and that the results do not indicate that the singer was intoxicated.
- The Simple Life star was stopped for her erratic driving and given a Breathalyzer test, for which she had a level of 0.08.
- The judge dismissed his DUI charge but convicted him for improper lane changing and refusing a breathalyzer test.
- She was given a field sobriety test and a breathalyzer, both of which she failed.