Origin of BeijingChin, northern capital (as contrasted with Nanjing)
Usage Note: Although some people pronounce the capital of China as (bā′zhĭng′), with a (zh) sound in place of the (j) sound, the pronunciation with the (j) sound is a much better approximation of the Chinese pronunciation. In fact, most people who speak Chinese would consider the (zh) pronunciation to be incorrect.
- The capital of the People's Republic of China.
From Mandarin 北京 (Běijīng), composed of 北 (běi) ("northern") and 京 (jīng) ("capital").
- Standard 28 day tours include visits to Beijing, Xian, Lhasa, Shigatse, Lhatse, Saga, Paryang, Manasarovar Lake, Tarchen, Mt. Kailash, Tarchen, Tsada, Seng Ge Tsangpo, Gertse, Tsochen, Lhatse, Shigatse, Lhasa, and Shanghai.
- Previous events were the Bonn Renewables held in 2004 and the Beijing International Renewable Energy Conference hosted in China in 2005.
- The importance of the number 8 in the Chinese culture is shown in the starting date and time of the Olympics held in Beijing, China.
- Regardless of how Christmas started in China, it is now widespread throughout the major cities like Beijing and Hong Kong.
- This wonderful find and piece of Chinese history is currently housed at the Beijing Institute of Science.