- The definition of a yolk is the yellow part of an egg.
An example of a yolk is the part you remove to make an egg white omelet.
An egg yolk nestled in its shell.
yolk definition by Webster's New World
- the yellow, principal substance of an egg, as distinguished from the albumen, or white
- Biol. the protein and fat stored in the ovum, serving as nourishment for the growing embryo
Origin: Middle English yolke ; from Old English geolca, yolk, literally , yellow part, akin to geolu, yellow
yolk definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. The yellow, usually spherical portion of an egg of a bird or reptile, surrounded by the albumen and serving as nutriment for the developing young.b. A corresponding portion of the egg of other animals, consisting of protein and fat that serve as the primary source of nourishment for the early embryo and protoplasmic substances from which the embryo develops.
- A greasy substance found in unprocessed sheep's wool.
Origin: Middle English yolke, from Old English geolca, from geolu, yellow; see yellow.
- yolkˈy adjective
yolk - Medical Definition
yolk - Science Definition