- Yay is defined as an expression of approval, great happiness or excitement.
An example of yay is what you would shout upon winning the lottery.
A young boy yells, "yay!"
- yea ()
- Informal this; so: often with a gesture indicating size: yay big, yay high
Used as an exclamation of pleasure, approval, elation, or victory.
Origin of yayAlteration of yea.
So; by this amount: “The fish was yay big” he said, spreading his arms three feet apart.
Origin of yayProbably from yea1.
- (colloquial) Alternative form of yea (yes).
- (colloquial) An expression of happiness.
- Yay! I have finally finished my work!
- The name of the letter for the y sound in Pitman shorthand.
- (US, slang) Cocaine.
From Spanish llello.
- A branch of the Thai language