- Present participle of wine.
Variant of wine
- the fermented juice of grapes, used as an alcoholic beverage and in cooking, religious ceremonies, etc.: wines vary in color (red, white, rosé, etc.) and sugar content (sweet, dry, etc.), may be effervescent (sparkling) or noneffervescent (still), and are sometimes strengthened with additional alcohol (fortified)
- the fermented juice of other fruits or plants, used as an alcoholic beverage: dandelion wine
- anything having an intoxicating or exhilarating effect
- a dark, purplish red resembling the color of red wines
Origin of wineMiddle English ; from Old English win, akin to Old Norse vin, German and amp; Gothic wein ; from early Germanic borrowing ; from Classical Latin vinum, wine: see vine