- Wake up call is an arrangement made for a telephone to ring at a certain time to serve as an alarm clock.
An example of a wake up call is when you tell the hotel front desk to call you at 7:00 AM.
- The definition of a wake up call is something that makes you change your behavior or attitude.
An example of a wake up call is when you have a heart attack and you realize that life is short and you should spend it with your kids instead of working all day.
- a telephone call made by a wake-up service
- anything that serves to arouse someone from apathy or inactivity
- A telephone call that one requests to occur at a specific time in order to be woken up, especially in a hotel.
- A sign or warning that alerts one to negative or dangerous behavior or circumstances: “Her personal life was spiraling out of control … and her brush with death came as a wake-up call” ( Geraldine Fabrikant )
(plural wakeup calls)
- Alternative spelling of wake-up call.
(plural wake-up calls)
- A telephone call to awaken someone at a certain time, especially one requested by the person while staying at a hotel.
- She requested a five a.m. wake-up call from the front desk.
- (figuratively) An alert, reminder, or call to action caused by a dramatic event.
- The recent deaths should serve as a wake-up call to others at risk.