- Wake up call is an arrangement made for a telephone to ring at a certain time to serve as an alarm clock.
An example of a wake up call is when you tell the hotel front desk to call you at 7:00 AM.
- The definition of a wake up call is something that makes you change your behavior or attitude.
An example of a wake up call is when you have a heart attack and you realize that life is short and you should spend it with your kids instead of working all day.
wake-up call definition by Webster's New World
- a telephone call made by a wake-up service
- anything that serves to arouse someone from apathy or inactivity
wake-up call definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A telephone call that one requests to occur at a specific time in order to be woken up, especially in a hotel.
- A sign or warning that alerts one to negative or dangerous behavior or circumstances: “Her personal life was spiraling out of control . . . and her brush with death came as a wake-up call” (Geraldine Fabrikant).