- of, affected by, or causing vertigo; dizzy or dizzying
- whirling about; spinning
- marked by quick or frequent change; unstable
Origin of vertiginousClassical Latin vertiginosus
- Turning about an axis; revolving or whirling.
- Affected by vertigo; dizzy.
- Tending to produce vertigo: “my small mind contained in earthly human limits, not lost in vertiginous space and elements unknown” ( Diana Cooper )
- Inclined to change quickly; unstable.
Origin of vertiginousFrom Latin vertīgō vertīgin- a whirling from vertere to turn ; see version .