- of a velum; esp., of the soft palate
- Phonet. articulated with the back of the tongue touching or near the soft palate, as (k) followed by a back vowel as in cup
Origin of velarClassical Latin velaris, belonging to a veil or curtain ; from velum, a veil
a velar sound
- a. Of or relating to a velum.b. Concerning or using the soft palate.
- Articulated with the back of the tongue touching or near the soft palate, as (g) in good and (k) in king.
A velar consonant.
- (phonetics) a sound articulated at the soft palate
From Latin velaris.