- a short drapery or curtain hanging from the edge of a bed, shelf, table, etc., often to the floor
- a short drapery or facing of wood or metal across the top of a window, concealing curtain rods, etc.
Origin of valanceME, after uncertain or unknown; perhaps Valence, center for textile manufacturing
- An ornamental drapery hung across a top edge, as of a bed, table, or canopy.
- A short drapery, decorative board, or metal strip mounted especially across the top of a window to conceal structural fixtures.
transitive verbval·anced, val·anc·ing, val·anc·es
To supply with valances or a valance.
Origin of valanceMiddle English
- Short curtain that hangs along the top edge of a window.
- A decorative framework used to conceal the curtain mechanism and so on at the top of a window.
- (bedding) A short, decorative edging of cloth that hangs from the mattress to the floor.
- The drooping edging of the lid of a trunk, which covers the joint when the lid is closed.