- The definition of a vagina is the passage leading from the vulva to the cervix in female humans and other mammals.
An example of the vagina is the birth canal.
nounpl. va·gi·nas or va·gi·nae
- Anatomy a. The passage leading from the opening of the vulva to the cervix of the uterus in female mammals.b. A similar part in some invertebrates.
- Biology Any of various sheathlike structures.
Origin of vaginaLatin vāgīna, sheath.
(plural vaginas or vaginae or vaginæ)
- (anatomy) The passage leading from the opening of the vulva to the cervix of the uterus for copulation and childbirth in female mammals.
- You may give birth through your vagina, have a c-section or surrogacy, it's up to you.
- (zoology) A similar part in some invertebrates.
- (botany) A sheath-like structure, such as the leaf of a grass that surrounds a stem.
- (colloquial) The vulva.
From Latin vāgīna (“sheath”).