- laid or placed underneath
- having an underlay or underlying layer, support, etc.
Past tense and past participle of underlay1.
- Placed or laid underneath.
- Supported or raised by something from beneath; having an underlay.
- Simple past tense and past participle of underlay.
Variant of underlay
transitive verbunderlaid, underlaying
- to cover, line, or extend over the bottom of: the leather is underlaid with felt
- to lay (something) under something else, esp. as a support, wedge, etc.
- to raise or support with something laid underneath: the roof must be underlaid with trusses
- Printing to provide with an underlay
Origin of underlayMiddle English underlein ; from Old English underlecgan
- something laid underneath
- Printing a patch or patches of paper laid under type, cuts, etc. to raise the level of the face