- beyond the mountains, specif. the Alps
- [oftenU-] of the Roman Catholic doctrine of papal supremacy or the former Church party advocating it
Origin of ultramontaneMedieval Latin ultramontanus from Classical Latin ultra, beyond + mons (gen. montis), mount
- a person living beyond the mountains, esp. south of the Alps
- [oftenU-] an adherent of the ultramontane party
- Of or relating to peoples or regions lying beyond the mountains, especially the Alps.
- Roman Catholic Church a. Supporting the authority of the papal court over national or diocesan authority.b. Relating to or supporting the doctrine of papal supremacy.
- One who lives beyond the mountains, especially south of the Alps.
- often Ultramontane Roman Catholic Church One who advocates support of papal policy in ecclesiastical and political matters.
Origin of ultramontaneMedieval Latin ultrāmontānus Latin ultrā- ultra- Latin montānus of mountains ( from mōns mont- mountain ; see men-2 in Indo-European roots.)
(comparative more ultramontane, superlative most ultramontane)
- cismontane (from this side of the mountains)
Late Latin ultramontanus