- beyond the mountains, specif. the Alps
- of the Roman Catholic doctrine of papal supremacy or the former Church party advocating it
Origin of ultramontaneMedieval Latin ultramontanus ; from Classical Latin ultra, beyond + mons (gen. montis), mount
- a person living beyond the mountains, esp. south of the Alps
- an adherent of the ultramontane party
- Of or relating to peoples or regions lying beyond the mountains, especially the Alps.
- Roman Catholic Church a. Supporting the authority of the papal court over national or diocesan authority.b. Relating to or supporting the doctrine of papal supremacy.
- One who lives beyond the mountains, especially south of the Alps.
- often Ultramontane Roman Catholic Church One who advocates support of papal policy in ecclesiastical and political matters.
Origin of ultramontaneMedieval Latin ultramontanus : Latin ultra-, ultra- + Latin montanus, of mountains (from m&omacron;ns, mont-, mountain; see men-2 in Indo-European roots).
(comparative more ultramontane, superlative most ultramontane)
- cismontane (from this side of the mountains)
Late Latin ultramontanus