twinned definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- born as a twin or twins
- paired or coupled
- consisting of two crystals forming a twin
twinned definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Born two in a single birth.
- Paired or coupled with something identical or similar.
- Mineralogy Formed by the process of twinning. Used of crystals.
Variant of twin
- consisting of or being two separate but similar or closely related things; forming a pair; double; paired: twin beds
- being one of a pair of such things; being a counterpart
- being two offspring from the same pregnancy: twin girls
- being either one of two offspring from the same pregnancy: a twin sister
Origin: Middle English ; from Old English twinn and amp; Old Norse tvinnr, double, both ; from base of two
- either one of two offspring from the same pregnancy: twins are either identical (produced from the same ovum) or fraternal (produced from separate ova)
- either one of two persons or things very much alike in appearance, shape, structure, etc.
- a compound crystal of two crystals or parts having a common face but in reversed positions with respect to each other
intransitive verb twinned, twinning
- to give birth to twins
- to be paired or coupled (with another)
- Archaic to be born at the same birth
- to give birth to as twins
- to be or provide a counterpart to
- to pair or couple