- The definition of a tractor is a large heavy-duty vehicle used for hauling a trailer and pulling agricultural and construction equipment.
An example of a tractor is what a farmer uses to pull a hay baler through a hay field.
tractor definition by Webster's New World
- a powerful vehicle with a gasoline or diesel engine and large rear wheels or endless belt treads, used for pulling farm machinery, hauling loads, etc.
- a large, powerful truck with a driver's cab and a fifth wheel, designed to pull a trailer
- an airplane with its propeller or propellers mounted in front of the engine
Origin: Modern Latin ; from Classical Latin tractus: see traction
tractor definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A vehicle having a powerful gasoline or diesel motor and usually large, heavily treaded rear tires, used especially for pulling farm implements or machinery.
- A truck having a cab and no body, used for pulling large vehicles such as vans or trailers.
- Something that pulls or draws.
- a. An airplane propeller mounted in front of the supporting surfaces.b. An airplane having such a propeller.
- A toothed mechanism that automatically advances perforated continuous-form paper through a computer printer.
Origin: From Latin tractus, past participle of trahere, to draw.