Informal a resident of a town, esp. one of college age, who is not a student at the local college
nounpl. town·ies Informal
A permanent resident of a town, especially a resident of a college town who is academically unaffiliated with the local college or university.
- (UK, US) A person living in a university area who is not associated with the university.
- (US) A person born and raised in an area of Massachusetts who is proud of his or her Irish-American community, culture, and heritage.
- (UK) A person who has moved from a town or city to a rural area.
- (UK) A person familiar with the town (urbanised centre of a city) and with going out on the town; a street-wise person.
- (UK, pejorative) A chav.
- (US) A working-class citizen in a metropolitan area.
- (Australia, New Zealand, informal) A person who lives in a city or town, or has an urban outlook.
- (person who lives in a city or town or has an urban outlook): cocky ("farmer")
From town +â€Ž -ie.