Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio.
- any of a number of trees with resinous wood from which torches can be made
- any of a genus (Amyris) of tropical American trees and shrubs of the rue family, having hard, resinous wood
- the wood of any of these trees
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- Any of several tropical American trees of the genus Amyris, especially A. balsamifera, having resinous wood that burns with a torchlike flame.
- The wood of any of these trees.