An example of titular is Barack Obama having the title of president; the titular head of the Executive Branch of the government.
- of, or having the nature of, a title
- having a title; titled
- existing only in title; in name only; nominal: a titular sovereign
- from whom or which the title or name is taken
- designating a bishop holding the title of an extinct see
Origin of titularClassical Latin titulus (see title) + -ar
- Relating to, having the nature of, or constituting a title.
- a. Existing in name only; nominal: the titular head of the family.b. Bearing the title of a church or monastery that is no longer active.
- Bearing a title: titular dignitaries.
- Derived from a title: the titular role in a play.
Origin of titularFrom Latin titulus, title.
- One who holds a title.
From Latin titulus (“title").