- the regulation of the speed, or of the moment of occurrence, of something so as to produce the most effective results: the timing of an engine, of a golfer's swing, of an announcement, etc.
- the pacing of various scenes, as of a play, for total effect
- the pacing of a skit, monologue, etc., as for comedic effect
- measurement of time, as with a stopwatch
- The regulation of occurrence, pace, or coordination to achieve a desired effect, as in music, the theater, or athletics.
- The synchronization of the sparking of the plugs with the movement of the pistons in an internal-combustion engine.
(countable and uncountable, plural timings)
- (uncountable) The regulation of the pace of e.g. an athletic race, the speed of an engine, the delivery of a joke, or the occurrence of a series of events.
- (uncountable) The time when something happens.
- (uncountable) The synchronization of the firing of the spark plugs in an internal combustion engine.
- (countable) An instance of recording the time of something.
- Present participle of time.