- Relating to tension.
- The tensional force was so great the cable snapped.
Variant of tension
- a tensing or being tensed
- mental or nervous strain, often accompanied by muscular tautness
- a state of strained relations; uneasiness due to mutual hostility
- a device for regulating tension or tautness, as of thread in a sewing machine
- loosely the expansive force, or pressure, of a gas or vapor
- stress on a material produced by the pull of forces tending to cause extension
- a force or combination of forces exerting such a pull against the resistance of the material
- a balancing of forces or elements in opposition
Origin of tension; from Middle French or L: Middle French ; from Classical Latin tensio ; from tensus: see tense
to subject to tension