- a member of any of the Mongolian and Turkic peoples that took part in the invasion of central and W Asia and E Europe in the Middle Ages
- a member of a Turkic people living in a region of EC European Russia, the Crimea, and parts of Asia
- any of the Turkic languages of these peoples; esp., a language (Kazan Tatar) spoken around Kazan
Origin of TatarPersian
of Tatary or its peoples, languages, or cultures
also Ta·tar′ian or Ta·tar′ic
- a. A member of a group of Turkic peoples primarily inhabiting Tatarstan in west-central Russia and parts of Siberia and Central Asia.b. Any of the Turkic languages of the Tatars.
- A member of any of the Turkic and Mongolian peoples of central Asia who invaded western Asia and eastern Europe in the Middle Ages. In all senses also called Tartar.
Origin of TatarPersian Tatar, of Turkic origin.
- A person belonging to one of several Turkic, Tatar-speaking ethnic groups in Eastern Europe, Russia and Central Asia.
From a Turkic language