- a member of any of the Mongolian and Turkic peoples that took part in the invasion of central and W Asia and E Europe in the Middle Ages
- a member of a Turkic people living in a region of EC European Russia, the Crimea, and parts of Asia
- any of the Turkic languages of these peoples; esp., a language () spoken around Kazan
of Tatary or its peoples, languages, or cultures
See Tatar in American Heritage Dictionary 4
- also Tar·tar (tärˈtər) A member of a group of Turkic peoples primarily inhabiting Tatarstan in west-central Russia and parts of Siberia and Central Asia.
- Tartar Any of the Turkic languages of the Tatars.
- Variant of Tartar.
- tatar A ferocious or violent person; a tartar.
Origin: Persian Tātār
Origin: , of Turkic origin