seaport in N Morocco, on the Strait of Gibraltar: formerly part of an internationalized zone
Fr. name Tan·ger′
A city of northern Morocco at the west end of the Strait of Gibraltar. Founded by the Phoenicians and later controlled by a variety of powers, including Portugal and Great Britain, it was administered as part of an international zone from 1923 until 1956.