- pl. -·ils or -·il a member of a people living chiefly in S India and N Sri Lanka
- the Dravidian language, ancient or modern, of this people: official language of the state of Tamil Nadu
nounpl. Tamil, or Tam·ils
- A member of a Dravidian people of southern India and northern Sri Lanka.
- The Dravidian language of the Tamil.
Of or relating to the Tamil or their language or culture.
Origin of TamilTamil
- Of or pertaining to the Tamil people, culture, or language.
- A person whose ethnic origins come from Tamil Nadu, India or Sri Lanka.