- the exhaust pipe coming from the muffler of a motor vehicle
- the exhaust duct of a jet engine
The pipe through which exhaust gases from an engine are discharged. Also called exhaust pipe .
- If black smoke is coming out the tailpipe, it could indicate a problem with the fuel injection system, the fuel pump, the engine computer, or the carburator.
- White smoke from the tailpipe can indicate water or antifreeze in the engine cylinder, meaning you have a failed head gasket.
- Watch for smoke coming from your tailpipe or hood, and keep an eye out for puddles under your car.
- Periodically check the car's front grill vents and tailpipe to eliminate clogs.
- Blue smoke coming out the tailpipe may mean a failing gasket, O-ring, or seal.