- a piece or part added to, or forming the end of, something
- the small triangular piece of wood at the lower end of a violin, cello, etc., to which the strings are attached
- a short beam or rafter with one end tailed in a wall and the other supported by a header
- Printing an ornamental design put at the end of a chapter or at the bottom of a page
- A piece forming an end; an appendage.
- Printing An engraving or design placed as an ornament at the end of a chapter or at the bottom of a page.
- Architecture A beam tailed into a wall. Also called tail beam.
- Music A triangular piece of wood, usually ebony, to which the lower ends of the strings of a violin or other related instrument are attached.