- The definition of tactile is touchable or sensed by the touch.
An example of tactile is a book written in Braille.
tactile definition by Webster's New World
- that can be perceived by the touch; tangible
- of, having, or related to the sense of touch
Origin: French ; from Classical Latin tactilis ; from tangere, to touch: see tact
- tactility noun
tactile definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. Perceptible to the sense of touch; tangible.b. Characterized by or conveying an illusion of tangibility: “Heaney must thus continue to be a poet rich in tactile language” (Helen Vendler).
- Used for feeling: a tactile organ.
- Of, relating to, or proceeding from the sense of touch; tactual: a tactile reflex.
Origin: From Latin tāctilis, from tāctus, past participle of tangere, to touch; see tact.
- tacˈtile·ly adverb
- tac·tilˈi·ty noun
tactile - Medical Definition
- Perceptible to the sense of touch; tangible.
- Used for feeling.
- Of, relating to, or proceeding from the sense of touch; tactual.
tactile - Science Definition