- a lottery in which each participant puts up money in a common fund which is given as the prize to the winner or in shares to several winners
- a contest, esp. a horse race, the result of which determines the winner or winners of such a lottery
- the prize or prizes won in such a lottery
- any of various other lotteries
Origin of sweepstakesbecause the winner “sweeps in” all of the stakes
plural nounused with a sing. or pl. verb
- A contest, often promoting a product or service, in which participants enter without paying to win usually one of several prizes. Winners are selected at random from the pool of entrants.
- a. A lottery in which the participants' contributions form a fund that is awarded as a prize to one or several winners.b. An event or contest, especially a horserace, the result of which determines the winner of such a lottery.c. The prize won in such a lottery.
- plural form of sweepstake