[Now Rare] var. of surprise
The act of surprising or the state of being surprised.
- (obsolete, military) A surprise attack or ambush; a sudden or unexpected assault. [16th-19th c.]
- (obsolete) A sudden coming-upon someone or something unexpectedly or unawares. [17th c.]
- How to secure the lady from surprisal. "” Milton.
- Because death is uncertain, let us prevent its surprisal. "” Barrow.
- (obsolete) A surprising event or occurrence. [17th-19th c.]
- (obsolete) The feeling caused by being surprised; surprise, shock, amazement. [17th-19th c.]
From surprise +"Ž -al.