Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio.
- a subdivision of a group; subordinate group
- Chem. a vertical subdivision of a group in the periodic table of chemical elements
- Math. a group whose elements form a subset of another group
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
transitive verb sub·grouped
- A distinct group within a group; a subdivision of a group.
- A subordinate group.
- Mathematics A group that is a subset of a group.
To divide into subgroups.