- a slender, pointed weapon; esp., a stiletto
- a slender probe
- a wire inserted into a soft catheter to keep it rigid
- Zool. style ()
Origin: Fr from Italian stiletto: see stiletto
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A slender, pointed instrument or weapon, such as a stiletto.
- a. A surgical probe.b. A fine wire that is run through a catheter, cannula, or hollow needle to keep it stiff or clear of debris.
- Zoology A small, stiff, needlelike organ or appendage, such as the feeding organ of a tardigrade.
Origin: French, from Italian stiletto, stiletto; see stiletto.
stylet - Medical Definition
- A fine wire that is run through a catheter, cannula, or hollow needle to keep it stiff or clear of debris.
- A slender surgical probe. Also called stylus.