Variant of straw
- hollow stalks or stems of grain after threshing, collectively: used for fodder, for bedding, for making hats, etc.
- a single one of such stalks
- such a stalk or, now esp., a tube of waxed paper, plastic, etc., used for sucking beverages
- something, as a hat, made of straw
- something of little or no value; worthless trifle
- straw man (sense )
- see last straw
Origin: Middle English stra from Old English streaw, akin to streawian: see strew
- straw-colored; yellowish
- made of straw
- of little or no value or significance; worthless; meaningless
- strawy adjective
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.