- Obs. a cross-country horse race
- a horse race run over a prepared course with artificial obstructions, such as ditches, hedges, and walls
- a cross-country footrace or one run over a prepared course with ditches and other obstacles
Origin of steeplechasebecause such a race origin, originally had as its goal a distant, visible steeple
intransitive verb-·chased·, -·chas·ing
to ride or run in a steeplechase
- Sports a. A horserace across open country or over an obstacle course.b. A footrace of usually 3,000 meters over a closed track with four hurdles and a water obstacle.
- A course of action containing many obstacles.
Origin of steeplechaseFrom the use of church steeples as landmarks