- The definition of a steak is a slice of meat, especially beef or fish.
An example of a steak is a broiled thick slice of beef.
steak definition by Webster's New World
- a slice of meat, esp. beef, or of a large fish, cut thick for broiling or frying
- ground beef formed into a patty for broiling or frying
Origin: Middle English steike ; from Old Norse steik ; from base of steikja, to roast on a spit: for Indo-European base see stick
steak definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A slice of meat, typically beef, usually cut thick and across the muscle grain and served broiled or fried.
- A thick slice of a large fish cut across the body.
- A patty of ground meat broiled or fried.
Origin: Middle English steike, from Old Norse steik; see steig- in Indo-European roots.