- Present participle of stave.
Variant of stave
- any of the thin, shaped strips of wood or metal, set edge to edge to form or strengthen the wall of a barrel, bucket, etc.
- any similar slat, bar, rung, stay, etc.
- a stick or staff
- a set of verses, or lines, of a song or poem; stanza
- Music staff (sense )
Origin of staveMiddle English taken as singular of staves, plural of staf, staff
transitive verbstaved or stove, staving
- to puncture or smash, esp. by breaking in a stave or staves
- to beat as with a staff
- to furnish with staves
to be or become stove in, as a boat; break up or in
to break or crush inward
to ward off, hold off, or put off, as by force, guile, etc.