- a flexible, springy board used by acrobats, gymnasts, etc. as a takeoff in performing various feats of leaping
- diving board
- anything serving as the starting point or providing the impetus for something else
- A flexible wood board that a gymnast runs and jumps off of to propel her higher so she can reach the tops of the parallel bars is an example of a springboard.
- An idea that launches a new line of products is an example of a springboard.
The definition of a springboard is a flexible board you can jump on or off of to give you more momentum, or something that assists or gives help to an idea or endeavor.
- Sports a. A flexible board mounted on a fulcrum with one end secured, used by gymnasts to gain momentum, as in vaulting.b. See diving board.
- Something that helps to launch a career or activity.
- A diving board consisting of a flexible, springy, cantilevered platform, used for diving into water.
- (gymnastics) A small platform on springs and usually hinged at one end, used to launch or vault onto other equipment.
- (figuratively) Anything that gives a person or thing energy or impulse, or that serves to launch or begin something.
- The opportunity served a springboard to their success.
(third-person singular simple present springboards, present participle springboarding, simple past and past participle springboarded)
- To launch or propel as if from a springboard.
- The use of historical fact as a springboard for fiction is not a new one.
- Using the springboard of the show, Harper launched a subscription based website, My Trainer Bob, that allows the viewers at home to benefit from his fitness and diet advice without trying to land a role on The Biggest Loser.
- This was the springboard he needed as he next appeared in Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle and Love Actually, yet it wasn't until he played Paulo in the third season of Lost that he became well-known in the States.
- It is necessary to understand that a successful capital campaign is the cornerstone to a successful overall fundraising program - the springboard from which all other fundraising efforts will start.
- An interesting dress-up drawer or box can be a great springboard for play-acting, role-playing and pretending; young children love to create plays and shows for family audiences.