- The definition of a springboard is a flexible board you can jump on or off of to give you more momentum, or something that assists or gives help to an idea or endeavor.
- A flexible wood board that a gymnast runs and jumps off of to propel her higher so she can reach the tops of the parallel bars is an example of a springboard.
- An idea that launches a new line of products is an example of a springboard.
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio.
- a flexible, springy board used by acrobats, gymnasts, etc. as a takeoff in performing various feats of leaping
- diving board
- anything serving as the starting point or providing the impetus for something else
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- Sports a. A flexible board mounted on a fulcrum with one end secured, used by gymnasts to gain momentum, as in vaulting.b. See diving board.
- Something that helps to launch a career or activity.