- a small, dull knife for spreading butter, etc.
- a contrivance for scattering or applying something: a fertilizer spreader
- a device, as a bar, for keeping wires, stays, etc. apart
- An object or person who spreads.
- A spacer or device for keeping two objects apart.
- A device used to spread bulk material.
- James put grass seed on the lawn with a seed spreader.
- A knife or spatula used to distribute a substance such as butter or jelly.
- Ellen used a spreader to butter her bagel.
- (nautical) A horizontal athwartships spar attached to the mast of a sailboat in order to extend the shrouds away from the mast.
- A machine for combining and drawing fibers of flax to form a sliver preparatory to spinning.