a person or thing that spreads; specif.,
- a small, dull knife for spreading butter, etc.
- a contrivance for scattering something: a fertilizer spreader
- a device, as a bar, for keeping apart wires, stays, etc.
One that spreads, as:
a. A butter knife.
b. A farm or garden implement for scattering fertilizer or seed.
c. A device, such as a bar, for keeping wires or stays apart.
d. Nautical A horizontal support used to spread shrouds on a mast.
- An object or person who spreads.
- A spacer or device for keeping two objects apart.
- A device used to spread bulk material.
- James put grass seed on the lawn with a seed spreader.
- A knife or spatula used to distribute a substance such as butter or jelly.
- Ellen used a spreader to butter her bagel.
- (nautical) A horizontal athwartships spar attached to the mast of a sailboat in order to extend the shrouds away from the mast.
- A machine for combining and drawing fibers of flax to form a sliver preparatory to spinning.
- prereads, reparsed