- the figure of an eagle with wings and legs spread, used as an emblem of the U.S.
- something suggesting this, as an acrobatic figure in fancy skating
- having the figure of an eagle with wings and legs spread
- ☆ Informal boastful or jingoistic about the U.S.
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a. The figure of an eagle with wings and legs spread.b. The emblem on the obverse of the Great Seal of the United States.
- A posture or design resembling such an emblem or figure.
- Positioned with the arms and legs stretched out.
- Informal Full of patriotic or jingoistic rhetoric.
- To assume a spread-eagle position.
- To make a grandiloquent, patriotic speech.