- to make hissing or spitting sounds, or to throw off particles in an explosive way, as something frying; sputter
- to speak hurriedly and confusedly, as when excited or embarrassed
var. of sputter
- to utter hurriedly and confusedly; sputter
- to spatter
- a spluttering sound or utterance
- a loud sputtering or splash
See splutter in American Heritage Dictionary 4
, splut·ters verb, intransitive
- To make repeated or sporadic spitting sounds.
- To speak hastily and incoherently, as when confused or angry.
To utter or express hastily and incoherently. noun
A spluttering noise.
Origin: Perhaps alteration of sputter
Learn more about splutter