- to make hissing or spitting sounds, or to throw off particles in an explosive way, as something frying; sputter
- to speak hurriedly and confusedly, as when excited or embarrassed
Origin of spluttervariant, variety of sputter
- to utter hurriedly and confusedly; sputter
- to spatter
- a spluttering sound or utterance
- a loud sputtering or splash
verbsplut·tered, splut·ter·ing, splut·ters
- To make repeated or sporadic spitting sounds.
- To speak hastily and incoherently, as when confused or angry.
Origin of splutterPerhaps alteration of sputter
(third-person singular simple present splutters, present participle spluttering, simple past and past participle spluttered)
From a variant of sputter